Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Explore Like a Pirate- Chap 1 #ExploreLAP


I'm a day late getting this posted but I attended Project Lead the Way training this week. Today was my final day so I'm ready to share about chapter 1 from Explore Like a Pirate.

I've had this book for a bit but I haven't had the time to sit down and really dig in. So I pulled a few important ideas from chapter 1 to share with you.

If you are reading this post, you are probably interested in learning more about using games in your classroom. Michael Matera says that gaming allows you to have an "educational mashup." Don't think you have to jump right in. You can use a few gamification techniques to help students become more engaged. At the GAFE Summit last week, the keynote said he wants his students to have FOMO (fear of missing out). I see gamification creating FOMO in my classroom. Students will be captivated by using games in the classroom. 

The great thing about this is that there are many teachers out there who are willing to help you and share ideas. This isn't something you have to do alone. You could recruit some friends/co-workers to get on board with you. If you don't have anyone in your building who would be willing to do that, reach out on Twitter! You don't have to do this along. 

"We, through gamification and playful planning, will create leaders critical thinkers, and even legacy makers." - Michael Matera



2 comments:

  1. I just set up my Twitter account and am looking forward to diving in this summer! I love how teachers are willing to share ideas and support each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Game-inspired course design will definitely create FOMO in students! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.