Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Week 19- Fractions & A Number Line

This week we were working on adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators. Check out a few of the pages in our interactive notebook.







Thursday we used our new number line to review ordering fractions. I don't have anything magnetic in my classroom so we moved to the hallway on the lockers. I added a 0 and 1 on each end of the number line.



I gave each student a card of their own to add to the number line. They each had to add the card and then explain why they put it in that place. Then other students could either agree with the placement or share an argument to move the card.



I didn't correct the mistakes because the students did it as we went. I also told them I would leave the number line up in the hallway for them to look at and see if there were other cards they wanted to move.



Once we returned to the classroom I had the groups discuss which mathematical practices this activity covered. They all came to the conclusion that it covered all the ones in our flipbook so far.



I also traded desks for tables this week and I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

The tables make it much easier for group work and collaboration. We are working out the kinks but I think this is going to work for us!



STUDENTS: What is your math goal for this 9 weeks? What do you plan to do in order to reach your goal?

1 comment:

  1. get good grades on most math tests. I will work hard and study every night

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.